Tuesday 1 April 2014

EXP1: YOUTUBE VIDEO: UPRIGHT PIANO DOWN STAIRS

Prior to designing my Steinway & Sons stairs, leading from the lower section to the datum, I proceeded to do some research into efficient ways to move pianos up and down stairs. From website how-to guides and YouTube videos; one of my main sources of inspiration, embedded in this post), I found that moving a piano upright was the common method of choice, due to it's simplicity and distribution of weight.

By functionally incorporating this into my design, my idea for the Steinway Stairs, revolving around using 'racks' and 'stands'; in the form of black piano keys and steel musical notes protruding from the walls, to support and hold the weight of the piano, allowing piano moving to be a much simpler task. Additionally, when not used for moving pianos, the musical notes and black piano keys convey the concept of pianos and music, ever-present in the lower workshop space.






Below is an imported image of my Steinway & Sons stairs, as modelled in SketchUp:







No comments:

Post a Comment